Trendy & Spendy Turns ONE!
Hi babes!! Today is a very BIG and EXCITING day here at Trendy & Spendy for two reasons:
1) Today is my 28th Birthday!
2) Today is my 1st Blogiversary!
That’s right you guys, today marks the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of Trendy & Spendy!
I cannot believe I’ve officially been a fashion and lifestyle blogger for an entire year already! In all honesty, I knew I wanted to do a fun photoshoot to incorporate both days as well as a blog post, but when I sat down to write just now, I had no idea how to put it all into words. I am so excited to reach this milestone and I have so much I want to say and share with you all. I have so many people I want to thank for being a part of my first year of blogging. I’m going to do my very best to find the right words…. So here it goes!
When I published my very first blog post (don’t judge me lol) this time last year, I had no clue what I was doing, how much work goes into creating a successful brand, or how I was going to get my name out there across a very saturated industry. What I did know, is I wanted to create a space where women could come to feel good about themselves and a place to empower women to feel beautiful. Over this past year, I have truly learned so much about myself, the blogging world, and how to run a business. As most of you know, (and if you didn’t, now you do) I am a full time registered nurse. I work in Las Vegas as a Labor & Delivery RN. I love my job, but I also love fashion, beauty and blogging! Trendy & Spendy has become my little baby. Despite the instability of Instagram and social media as a whole, my blog is the one place I can always count on to be here for you guys not matter what.
To celebrate and reflect on this amazing first year, I wanted to share a few things I have learned about blogging that stick out to me:
If you have a (true) passion that drives you daily, work hard to pursue it, NO MATTER what the risks!
2. I am a wife with a full time career. A lot of people ask where I find the time to blog. It’s not necessarily that I find time, more that I make time to pursue something that I am passionate about and something that I love! I work three 12-hour shifts in a row so that I can have 4 days off in a row. Those 4 days off are more often than not 100% dedicated to my blog.
3. Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something, or that what you are doing is a waste of time. Use the negativity to fuel your fire to work harder everyday!
4. Network! Make as many connections as you can in the blogging world and be willing to return the favor. Life, unfortunately, is all about who you know.
5. Always stay humble and kind! That’s right, I just quoted Tim McGraw! No matter where life takes you, remember where you came from and remember that you once started somewhere that wasn’t nearly as big as where you are now. Keep those memories close and always be willing to help others.
6. Remember that you have a platform as a blogger and use this platform wisely. The world is your oyster. You choose how you want others to perceive your content.
7. Try not to compare yourself to other bloggers. I’m being real with you all… I struggle with this one. I find myself comparing how many followers I have or why this girl started blogging when I did and I don’t have nearly as many followers as her. I just remember how hard I work and that bogging isn’t my full time job. I do the best I can juggling a full time career and blogging.
8. Find your blogger girl gang and love them hard! I have a local group of Vegas bloggers who I love and adore. I love being a part of a group of women who empower one another and support each other endlessly in this blogging world.
9. Staying authentic and only promoting brands that I 100% believe in or already use/love is CRUCIAL!! I have been asked plenty of times, if I actually use the products I promote in ads or sponsorships and the answer is ALWAYS YESSSSS! I take pride in the brands I work with. I turn down 80% of the collab offers that come through my email. It’s ok to say NO and it is actually very important to be able to say NO.
10. It is so important to be consistent! - Consistent in your blog posts, Instagram posts, LIKEtoKNOW.it, and when you choose to engage with your followers on stories. For me, I try to post at least 4x a week on IG. I do not however, have time in the day to post when I am working a 12 hour shift. That’s typically 3 days a week I do not post on social media.
11. BE YOURSELF! Your followers will love the true you, or they simply won’t follow you. You don’t want fake followers anyways so see this as a blessing. When you come on stories, show the real you! When I first started blogging, I felt like I needed to look my best when I showed my face on my Instagram stories. I always made sure to have my hair and makeup done. And now, I don’t care. I want to show you guys the real me and if that means no makeup, messy bun getting stuff done, then that’s just how it’s going to be.
12. Invest in relationships of people who believe in you and support your passion! You don’t have time for negativity and people that are going to try to bring you down!
13. Organization is KEY when you are your own boss, manager, editor, writer, photographer, stylist, accountant, event organizer and travel agent - AKA the CEO! I am a very type A person. That’s why I’m a nurse; I am very task-oriented and I like checklists. I like to write down everything, because it feels so good to check it off once it is completed! My life would be a mess without my favorite Erin Condren Life Planner. No - this is not sponsored, I’m just simply sharing my favorite organizational tool with you all ;)
14. Time management is EVERYTHING! I wish I could explain to you all exactly how much time goes into blogging, and I don’t even do it as a full time job, although it does feel like it is another full time job. For example I’ve been working on this blog post for about an hour now, and I’m only on #14 lol. No to mention the time it took to buy the balloons for the shoot, plan the outfit and scout a location, then shoot the photos and edit them to include in this blog special blog post. If you guys saw my Instagram post today (that hopefully directed you here), that is another time consuming part of blogging - the Instagram posts and the Instagram feed.
15. Try to find presets that fit your aesthetic. It is so important for your Instagram feed to look as cohesive as possible. I use Dreamy Presets Millennial Pink Preset and tweak them a bit by turning up the exposure, and turning down the temperature.
16. As a content creator and influencer, I am always thinking of my audience. After all, I have this blog for the sole purpose of helping you guys!! Everything I do is for you guys - my followers. As my husband Tyler always says, “ I dot it for the gram!” Haha, but he is soooo right!!! When I collaborate with a brand, I’m thinking about you guys and if you will like the clothing or skin cleanser. I want to please my audience and make ya’ll happy so that you continue to follow me and get to know me.
17. On that note, it is soooo important to get to know your followers!! It is just as important as them getting to know you. It can be so weird speaking into my phone on my stories, but I do it because I want you guys to see the real me. I try to get to know as many of you as possible. Trust me when I say I remember you girls that make it a point to DM me or comment sweet things on my posts. It DOES NOT GO UNNOTICED and I love you all!
18. Always hydrate and feed your photographer and thank them for their hard work. And always apologize for the things you said to him/her when you were hangry or sweating your butt off in the 100 degree Vegas weather and making 4-6 different outfit changes while trying not sweat off your makeup and still look purdy .
19. Always be the HARDEST WORKER in the room. Hold you head high and most importantly remain confident!
20. No one likes a know-it-all! Always be willing to LEARN!
A big thank you to all of you guys, my faithful followers!! Without you all I wouldn’t be where I am today! Your love and support means the world to me! The fact that you are all interested in this small town girl’s (from The Biggest Little City’s) style advice and life is what keeps me going everyday!
I also want to take the time to thank my family, who are my biggest supporters! I know they can get frustrated when we are out and about and I ask for a million photos from them. The biggest thank you goes out to the man behind the camera, my Insta husband, Tyler!! His patience with me could move mountains!! Haha literally! Love that man so much!
CHEERS TO MANY MORE YEARS OF TRENDY & SPENDY!
I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for me!
SHOP MY BIRTHDAY + BLOGIVERSARY LOOK FROM CHICWISH
Thank you Chichwish for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.